2017-2018 General Catalog 
    May 23, 2018  
2017-2018 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Office of the Registrar
Student Services Building, Room 250 N

Registration Information

Record Information

Grade Information

Attendance Policy

Class Standing

Enrollment Status (Full Time/Part Time)

Academic Standards

Visitor Registration

To audit a class as a visitor, an application for Admission as a Non-Degree Seeking Student must be completed. The form must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to the application deadline.

For more information about an audit grade, click here.

Web Registration

Eligible students should register via Campus Information Services (CIS). Students can also use CIS to check their registration date/time and to confirm their schedule once they have registered. Every student attending classes at the University must register, as well as pay tuition and fees. Students should consult the Office of the Registrar website for detailed registration information, including the academic calendar, deadlines, and withdrawal procedures.

Holds on Student Records

A hold can be placed on a student’s record for reasons including but not limited to; non-payment of debt (parking tickets, library fines, tuition payments, etc.), academic standards, failure to meet immunization requirements, required academic advising, missing admission credentials or non-compliance with other University regulations/obligations. A hold on the record can impact one or more of the following:

  • Enrollment - ability to register for classes
  • Receiving a transcript
  • Disbursement of financial aid
  • Refund from Income Accounting

To check if a hold has been placed, log into the Campus Information Services and click on “View Holds” under the Student Records heading.

Petition for Exception to Policy

Students are responsible for complying with all University regulations and deadlines.

The University is also obligated to ensure the integrity of the transcript as an historical document. Therefore, the transcript must reflect the actual history of a student’s experience at the University. Students are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their class schedule each term via the Campus Information Services.

An exception to University policy is warranted only in cases involving unusual or extenuating circumstances that would normally not be faced by other students. Modification of the record for sake of appearance does not constitute a justification for exception to policy.

Please note: Petition requests must be submitted within three years of the affected term(s) or prior to graduation from the University, whichever comes first.

For more information concerning procedures for filing a petition, click here.

Withdrawal from the University

Failure to withdraw from school results in a E or EU grade being recorded in all classes.

Students may officially withdraw (W) from a class or all classes after the drop deadline through the midpoint of a course. A “W” grade is recorded on the transcript and appropriate tuition/fees are assessed. The grade of “W” is not used in calculating the student’s GPA.

For more information concerning the withdrawal policy, click here.

Academic Renewal

A currently enrolled undergraduate student may petition the Academic Advising Center for academic renewal. This procedure allows the student to request that his or her academic record be reviewed for the purpose of discounting University of Utah courses with a D+ or lower grade on the student’s academic record. The courses must have been taken seven or more calendar years prior to the request. If approved, the discounted courses will remain on the student’s academic record (and the grades received for the courses will be shown), but the discounted courses and grades received for them will not count towards total hours, cumulative grade point computation, or graduation requirements.

The renewal option can be used only once during a student’s undergraduate career. This procedure does not apply to graduate students or to students pursuing a second undergraduate degree.

NOTE: ALL eligible grades will be discounted from the cumulative GPA and the notation of “Academic Renewal” will be placed on the transcript after each approved course.

Policy 6-100 III Section M

For further information, click here.

Appeals of Grades and Other Academic Actions

A student who believes that an academic action is arbitrary or capricious should discuss the academic action with the involved faculty member and attempt to resolve the disagreement. If the student and faculty member are unable to resolve the dis­agreement, the student may appeal the academic action in accordance with the following procedures:

  1. Appeal to the Chair of the Department. Within forty (40) working days of notification of the academic action, the student shall appeal the academic action in writing to, and consult with, the chair of the relevant department (or designee) regarding such academic action. Within fifteen (15) working days of consulting with the student, the chair shall notify the student and faculty member, in writing, of his/her determination whether the academic action was arbitrary or capricious and the basis for that decision. If the chair determines that the academic action was arbitrary or capricious, the chair shall take appropriate action to implement his/her decision unless the faculty member appeals the decision.
  2. Appeal to Academic Appeals Committee. . If either party disagrees with the chair’s decision, the party may appeal to the
    college’s Academic Appeals Committee within fifteen (15) working days of notification of the chair’s decision in accordance with the procedures set forth in Section 11.D of the University of Utah Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)

The cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed only on the basis of course work completed at the University of Utah. To learn how the GPA is calculated, click here.

Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions concerning the computation of the GPA.

Grading Policies

The University uses the following grades. The letter grades A through E and EU are used in computing the GPA.

Grades Points  Explanation



(4.0 points)

(3.7 points)

 Excellent performance, superior achievement




(3.3 points)

(3.0 points)

(2.7 points)

 Good performance, substantial achievement




(2.3 points)

(2.0 points)

(1.7 points)

 Standard performance and achievement




(1.3 points)

(1.0 points)

(0.7 points)

 Substandard performance, marginal achievement
        E (0.0 points)  Unsatisfactory performance and achievement
       EU (0.0 points)  Unofficial withdrawal
    CR/NC    Credit, no credit
S/U    Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory in a non-credit course
        I     Incomplete
        V    Audit
        T     Thesis or independent work in progress
        W    Official Withdrawal

EU (Unofficial Withdrawal) Grade

The grade of EU (Unofficial withdrawal) is given when your name appears on the registrar’s final grade report but there is no record of attendance or other evidence of participation in the course. The EU grade is treated as an E in calculating the student’s GPA.

Credit/No Credit Option

The credit/no credit (CR/NC) option allows a student to enroll in selected courses outside of his/her academic plan, without the pressure of competing for a letter grade. By electing CR/NC, students are expected to complete the same work as students enrolled for letter grades.

CR/NC Policy

  • Students may elect a limited number of courses in which they will receive the grade “CR” in place of grades “A” through “C-” or the grade “NC” in place of “D+,” “D,” “D-,” “E” and “EU.” The CR grade shall carry credit toward graduation, but neither the “CR” nor “NC” grades will be included in computing grade point average.
  • Students may exercise the option of CR/NC grading for a maximum of 15 hours while an undergraduate at the university.
  • The CR/NC option is NOT permitted in Writing 1010, Writing 2010, any Honors course, or classes that meet requirements for an academic major.
  • Graduate students may exercise the CR/NC option with approval from the student’s academic department and the dean of the Graduate School.
  • Caution: CR grade may not be accepted or may be interpreted as a C- grade and the NC may be interpreted as an E grade when credit is transferred to another institution or when applying to graduate or professional schools.
  • After the last day to drop classes, revoking the CR/NC option will continue to accrue towards the 15 hour maximum.

Policy 6-100 Section G7 & Policy 6-100A

Credit-only Courses

Courses offered for a grade of credit (CR) only are generally those bearing one hour or less of credit, in which class activity or attendance is the controlling factor in determining performance. These courses are not included in the 15-hour CR/NC option limit. The CR grade carries credit toward graduation but is excluded from the computation of the GPA. Students will receive an EU grade for non-attendance.

S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) Grade

The satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading basis is used for non-credit continuing education classes on the non-credit record. It indicates the satisfactory completion of the course for the purposes of professional certification, recertification requirements, tuition reimbursement, and other professional student applications.

I (Incomplete) Grade

An Incomplete grade can be given for work not completed due to circumstances beyond your control. You must be passing the course and have completed at least 80% of the required coursework. Arrangements must be made between you and the instructor concerning the completion of the work. You may not retake a course without paying tuition. If you attend class during a subsequent term, in an effort to complete the coursework, you must register for the course. Once the work has been completed, the instructor submits the grade to the Registrar’s Office. The I grade will change to an E if a new grade is not reported within one year. A written agreement between you and the instructor may specify the grade to be given if the work is not completed within one year. Copies of the agreement are kept by the instructor and the academic department.

If you graduate before a new grade is reported, the I grade remains on your record and will not count towards graduation or the calculation of your grade point average.

V (Audit) Grade

An audit grade (V) can be elected in credit courses when no grade is desired. A student may audit a class if it is not available to be taken as non-credit, and/or if he/she wants to attend the class for his/her own personal benefit. Students auditing a course are not held responsible for completed course work or tests during the class. An audited course will show on a student’s transcript with a V grade and 0.00 as the awarded number of credit hours.

Audited courses are not included in a student’s GPA calculation. Tuition and fees are assessed at the same rate as classes taken for credit.

Students indicate their desire to audit a class at the Registration and Records Division either in person or through uMail. To determine the last day to audit, view the Academic Calendars.

T (Thesis/Independent Work) Grade

Given for thesis or other independent work in progress, but not for regular courses. The T grade remains on your record until the work is completed and a letter grade is reported to the Registrar’s Office. If a new grade is not submitted, the T grade will remain on your record.

W (Official Withdrawal) Grade

Students may officially withdraw (W) from a class or all classes after the drop deadline. A W grade is recorded on the transcript and appropriate tuition/fees are assessed. The grade of W is not used in calculating the student’s GPA.

See the Academic Calendar for term, first and second session classes. Contact the Registration & Records Division at (801) 581-8969 for withdraw deadline information for miscellaneous session classes.

Repeated Courses

You may repeat any course taken previously at the University of Utah as long as it is still offered. Students who repeat a course must register for the course and pay tuition. Hours earned in repeated courses count toward graduation requirements only once. The last grade received is used to compute your grade point average. The grade I, NC, W, V, or T do not qualify for removal of previous grades. All but the last class is identified as a repeated course on your academic record.

The Office of the Registrar runs an end of term process after grades have been reported for the term to post repeats for undergraduate students. Check your unofficial transcript or degree audit report to confirm the removal of the prior grade(s) from calculating into the grade point average. If the grade point average has not been recalculated, you may report repeated courses to the Registration & Records Division:

  • Online: Complete a repeated class notification form via the Campus Information Services.
  • In Person: Visit the Registrar’s Office in the Student Services Building, second floor, Window 13.

Please note that the University of Utah has modified some course numbers, departmental prefixes and titles to provide greater consistency with courses at other Utah state schools. These changes went into effective Fall 2005. For a list of equivalent classes, see the Common Course Number Chart.

Cross-listed courses are subject to the repeated course policy, and will reflect appropriately on your academic record.

The Registrar’s Office reserves the right to adjust your record whenever a repeated course has not been recorded. This process does not apply to courses that may be taken more than once for credit.

Repeated Course Fees

**Beginning January 1, 2016, the University of Utah will no longer be requiring the third repeat fee.

By legislative mandate, the State of Utah requires that students be charged the “full cost of instruction” the third time they enroll in the same course. An additional fee of $100 will be charged per credit hour for the repeated class. Subsequent registrations in the course, beyond the third enrollment, will also be assessed the $100 per credit hour fee. This policy does not apply to classes taken prior to Fall Semester 2002. If you are repeating a class, please note that you will still be assessed a repeated course fee, even if the course number has changed.

Note: Students paying non-resident tuition will not be affected by this policy as they already pay the “full cost of instruction.” This policy does NOT apply to courses repeatable for credit and the grades of W and audit (V).

Attendance Policy

A student who is not officially registered may not attend a university course.

The university expects regular attendance at all class meetings. Instructors must communicate any particular attendance requirements of the course to students in writing before the first class meeting. Students are responsible for acquainting themselves with and satisfying the entire range of academic objectives and requirements as defined by the instructor.

Students are not automatically dropped from class(es) if they do not attend. They must officially drop their class(es) by the published deadline in the academic calendar to avoid a W grade.

Students absent from class to participate in officially sanctioned university activities (e.g. band, debate, student government, intercollegiate athletics) or religious obligations, or with instructor’s approval, shall be permitted to make up both assignments and examinations.

Unexpected university facility closures due to weather, emergency or disaster may occur from time to time. Students may be required to complete coursework missed due to these or other class cancellations. However, instructors requiring mandatory make-up sessions may not penalize students if they are unable to attend due to time conflicts, etc.

Policy 6-100 Section O

Class Standing

An undergraduate student’s year level or class standing depends on the number of semester hours successfully completed, as follows:

Hours Completed Year (Level)
0 to 29 First (freshman)
30 to 59 Second (sophomore)
60 to 89 Third (junior)
90 to graduation Fourth (senior)

Enrollment Status (Full Time/Part Time)

Credit hour requirements for full time and part time status at the University of Utah:

 Student  Full Time  Part Time
 Undergraduate  12+ hours per term  6-11 hours per term
 Graduate  9 hours per term  5-8 hours per term

Notice for Graduate Students: After the residency requirement has been met (two consecutive semesters of nine hours or more), graduate students who are registered for three credit hours in any one of the following classes are considered full-time status:

a) Classes within the range of 6970-6989, 7970-7989
b) Social Work 6511, 6512, 6521 or 6522
c) Pharmacology and Toxicology 7920

This does not fulfill state residency requirements.

Academic Standards

Academic Advising Center
Student Services Building, Room 450

The University’s regulations on academic standards are established by the University Senate and implemented by the Academic Evaluation and Standards Committee. This committee has assigned the responsibility of monitoring the academic progress of under­graduate students to the Academic Advising Center.

Deans List. Students who earn a 3.5 GPA or better for at least 12 graded credit hours for an academic term are placed on the Deans list. Students receive notification of this honor on the Campus Information System and it is noted on their transcript.

Minimum GPA. All undergraduate students are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (C average): Transfer students should be aware that the cumulative GPA is computed only on the basis of University of Utah course work. For detailed information about the grading system, see Grading Policies.

Specific departments or colleges may have more stringent requirements for retention in their programs than the overall University requirements.

Warning/Registration Hold. The first term a student’s cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0 is placed on academic warning. A hold is placed on a student’s academic record to prevent registration. A student will need to complete an Academic Success Workshop in order to have the registration hold removed.

Probation/Registration Hold. If another term a student’s term and cumulative GPA drops below 2.0 is placed on academic probation. A hold is placed on student’s academic record to prevent registration. A student will need to meet with an Academic Advising Center advisor in order to have the registration hold removed.

Suspension. After a third term a student’s term and cumulative GPA drops below 2.0 will be suspended from the University. The suspension period is three terms, and suspended students are required to appeal to come back to the University.

  • To initiate the appeal, the student will need to make an appointment with an Academic Advising Center advisor to understand the process and deadlines. Readmission after suspension is not guaranteed.

Dismissal. If a student is suspended for a second time, the student is dismissed from the University.

For more information, click here.