2017-2018 General Catalog 
    Mar 19, 2018  
2017-2018 General Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Parks, Recreation and Tourism Program

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Health


Accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) through the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation,Tourism, and Related Professions (COAPRT)

College of Health
Department Office: 1085 Annex
Phone: 801-581-8542/801-587-9147/801-581-3220
Website: www.health.utah.edu/prt
Program Director: Kelly Bricker, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Studies: Jim Sibthorp, Ph.D.
Director of Undergraduate Studies: Mary Wells, Ph.D.
PRT Academic Advisor: Eric Gardner, M.S., 200 HPR North, 801-585-0832.


The Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Program serves its majors as well as the student body at large. For its majors, the Department provides a nationally-accredited curriculum that prepares students for careers in parks, recreation, and sustainable tourism planning, management, and direct service delivery. To the campus at large, the program offers the U-EXPLORE (Experiential Learning and Outdoor Recreation Education, formerly NRL) program. Students of all disciplines acquire the experience and skills necessary to enjoy “wild Utah”. As such, the program promotes healthy lifestyles, and safe and appropriate use of environmental resources. It also empowers students to influence public policy concerning natural resource recreation management issues.

Undergraduate Program

Please see the Parks, Recreation and Tourism B.A., H.B.A., B.S., H.B.S. and Minor listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.

Graduate Program

Please see the Parks, Recreation and Tourism M.S., M.Phil, Ed.D., and Ph.D. listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.

Admission Requirements

Factors considered in admission to the graduate program include the following:

  1. Undergraduate GPA (must be 3.0 or higher for the final two years of undergraduate work).
  2. Three letters of recommendation.
  3. Resume indicating background and experience.
  4. Previous degrees and course work.
  5. Performance on TOEFL for applicants for whom English is a second language (550 or higher is required).
  6. Written Entrance Exam
  7. GRE or MAT scores required for doctoral admissions

Program and Course Offerings


    Undergraduate MajorMinorMasterDoctorate


      Parks, Recreation and TourismPage: 1 | 2 | 3

      Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Health