School of Medicine
Department Office: 375 Chipeta Way Ste. A
Department Chair: Kola Okuyemi, M.P.H., M.D.
Through its several programs, the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine offers diverse approaches to understanding the complexities of medicine and health in society. Educational opportunities are provided for practicing professionals from medicine and a variety of health fields, as well as for those with other backgrounds. The effects of such training programs extend from the patient’s bedside to the home, to the workplace, and, ultimately, to the community and environment. Similarly, the research and service activities of the department encompass patient care, health care delivery, and the etiologic aspects of disease in public health, including occupational and environmental factors.
The department consists of educational programs, including the Public Health Program and Occupational Health Program, residencies in Occupational Medicine and in Family Practice, the Physician Assistant Program, educational development and AHEC (Utah Area Health Education Centers); research programs, including the UU PCRN (University of Utah Primary Care Research Network), USRN (Utah Sports Research Network); and clinical services in family medicine, psychology, and occupational medicine.
For admission into these programs please see program pages for more information.
Please see the Biostatistics M.Stat. listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.
The University of Utah Family Medicine Residency Program trains family physicians in dynamic and innovative practices to be physician leaders in diverse practice settings.
Please see the Global Health Certificate listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.
Occupational & Environmental Health
Please see the Occupational Health M.O.H., M.S, Occupational and Environmental Health Ph.D. and Occupational Safety and Health Certificate listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.
Physician Assistant Studies
The M.P.A.S. is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (C.A.A.H.E.P.)
To increase access to health care, with a focus on medically underserved communities, by educating highly qualified physician assistants in the primary care model.
Please see the Physician Assistant Studies M.P.A.S. listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.
M.S. in Public Health and the M.P.H. are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (C.E.P.H.)
The Mission of the Division of Public Health is to protect and promote the health of people in communities in Utah and around the globe through high quality scholarship.
Please see the Public Health M.P.H., M.S., Ph.D. and Certificate listed in the Program and Course Offerings section.
Program and Course Offerings
- Biostatistics, M.Stat
- Master of Public Health, M.P.H.
- Occupational Health, M.O.H. - Ergonomics Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.O.H. - Hazardous Substances Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.O.H. - Industrial Hygiene Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.O.H. - Occupational Injury Prevention Research Training Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.O.H. - Occupational Safety Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Ergonomics Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Hazardous Substances Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Industrial Hygiene Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Occupational Injury Prevention Research Training
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Occupational Medicine Emphasis
- Occupational Health, M.S. - Occupational Safety Emphasis
- Physician Assistant Studies, M.P.A.S.
- Public Health, M.S.
CoursesFamily and Preventive MedicineOccupational and Environmental Health and SafetyPhysician Assistant StudiesDivision of Public HealthPage: 1