Click HERE for Learning Outcomes
The School of Music is a member of, and accredited by, the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
College of Fine Arts
Minimum Degree Hours: 31
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in Music from an accredited university
- Meet the basic Master’s admission requirements outlined by the University of Utah Graduate School
- Submit a Statement of Purpose
- Submit three letters of recommendation
- Audition or submit additional documents as outlined in the Program Guidelines on the School of Music website
Applications should be submitted to the University through the Admissions Office’s Apply Yourself web portal by February 15 for Fall admission. Please see the School of Music website for more information.
Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 or higher grade point average. A grade of “B-” or better is required for all music courses.
A final comprehensive oral examination will emphasize substantive issues associated with the thesis or recital and cover additional topics from courses taken during the student’s program.
Students will choose one of the following areas in the Master of Music degree:
- Choral Conducting
- Instrumental Conducting
- Brass Performance
- Percussion Performance
- String Performance
- String Performance and Pedagogy
- Woodwind Performance
- Vocal Performance
- Piano Performance
- Piano Performance and Pedagogy
- Collaborative Piano
- Organ Performance
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- History & Literature/Musicology
For specific graduation requirements for each track, see the School of Music website.