Click HERE for Learning Outcomes
The School of Music is a member of, and accredited by, the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
College of Fine Arts
Minimum Degree Hours: 62
- Have a Master’s Degree in Music from an accredited university
- Meet the basic Doctoral admission requirements outlined by the University of Utah Graduate School.
- Submit a Statement of Purpose
- Submit three letters of recommendation
- Submit additional documents as outlined in the Program Guidelines on the School of Music website
Applications should be submitted to the University through the Admissions Office’s Apply Yourself web portal by February 15 for Fall admission. Please see the School of Music website for more information.
Doctoral students are required to maintain a 3.0 or higher grade point average. A grade of “B-” or better is required for all music courses.
Written Qualifying Examinations must be completed prior to beginning work on the dissertation.
Following completion of the dissertation, the student must successfully complete an oral examination/thesis defense before the Supervisory Committee.
Students working toward the PhD choose one of two tracks: Composition or Music Education.
Required Courses for Both Tracks
Or, with instructor permission, students may choose from the following courses to complete this requirement:
Additional Requirements for Composition Track
Electives (choose two courses)
Foreign Language: standard proficiency in either French, German, or Italian
Additional Requirements for Music Education Track
Statistics (2 courses/6 credit hours)
Supporting Area (3 courses/9 credit hours)
Electives (6 credits)