Click HERE for Learning Outcomes
The School of Music is a member of, and accredited by, the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
School of Music
Minimum Degree Hours: 32
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in Music from an accredited university
- Meet the basic Master’s admission requirements outlined by the University of Utah Graduate School
- Submit three or four undergraduate papers in music history that demonstrate skill as a researcher, writing ability, and capacity for critical thinking and with originality
- Submit a 1-2 page Statement of Purpose
- Submit three letters of recommendation
Applications should be submitted to the University through the Admissions Office’s Apply Yourself web portal by February 15 for Fall admission.
Graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 or higher grade point average. A grade of “B-” or better is required for all music courses.
Students must demonstrate standard proficiency in French, German, or Italian. Standard proficiency may be verified through the completion of a second semester language course with a “B” grade or better, or by passing the Modern Language Assessment in the Testing Center with a score indicating Standard Proficiency.
Students will take a written comprehensive examination in musicology, which will focus on materials covered in the 6600- and 6800-level courses.
Students will also write a thesis. A final comprehensive oral examination will emphasize substantive issues associated with the thesis and cover additional topics from courses taken during the student’s program.