Click HERE for Learning Outcomes
Continuously accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) since 1978
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine
375 Chipeta Way, Ste A
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Minimum Degree Hours: 45
The MPH degree is appropriate for the student who plans a career as a practice-focused professional in public health that does not necessarily involve research. No research project is required, and this degree program consists of 45 semester credit hours. The MPH degree is considered a professional degree and takes approximately two years to complete as a full-time student. Students who undertake their training on a part-time basis because of work or other commitments may require more time. All new master-level students are admitted to the MPH degree.
The MPH degree program at the University of Utah is a general public health education.
The program has always offered a curriculum embracing the core areas of knowledge basic to public health both recognized from the community as well as our accrediting body the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Biostatistics - collection, storage, retrieval, analysis and interpretation of health data; design and analysis of health-related surveys and experiments; and concepts and practice of statistical data analysis
Epidemiology - distributions and determinants of disease, disabilities and death in human populations; the characteristics and dynamics of human populations; and the natural history of disease and the biologic basis of health
Environmental health sciences - environmental factors including biological, physical and chemical factors which affect the health of a community
Public health administration - planning, organization, administration, management, evaluation and policy analysis of health programs
Social and behavioral sciences - concepts and methods of social and behavioral sciences relevant to the identification and the solution of public health problems
- Earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university with at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Taken a math course in college algebra (Math 1050) or higher and earned a B grade or better
- General Record Examination (GRE) is highly recommended
- Submit an application through Apply Yourself (AY) https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=utahgrad
- All unofficial transcripts must be uploaded (even if the University of Utah already has them and even if you attended the U) Send official transcripts to the University of Utah Admission office directly
- Three (3) letters of recommendation - There is no specific format for recommendation letters
- Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement - not to exceed 500 words
- GRE - Department Code 0616, School Code 4853
The GRE is strongly recommended for applicants without a terminal degree (M.D. or PhD) earned in the United States. Applicants who do not take the GRE will need to demonstrate adequate quantitative ability through their college coursework (completion of college algebra, calculus, or statistics with a B or better grade). GRE scores expire after five years.
- International applicants:
- The TOFEL is also required. It expires after two years from the date test is taken.
Please note an in-person interview may be required
MPH Joint Degrees
- Doctor of Medicine (MD/MPH)
- Master of Healthcare Administration (MPH/MHA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPH/MPA)
- Master of Public Policy (MPH/MPP)
- Master of Social Work (MPH/MSW)