Graduate Requirements for Speech-Language Pathology
Communication Sciences and Disorders
390 S. 1530 E., Rm 1201 BEH SCI
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Minimum Degree Hours: 55.5
This department offers both the Master of Science (MS) and Master of Arts (MA) degrees in Speech-Language Pathology. The MA degree requires standard proficiency in one approved foreign language. The MS degree does not have foreign-language competency requirements. The graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology is an intensive program, normally involving a minimum of 5 semesters (one year, nine months) of study and full-time clinical practicum training. A total of 55.5 credit hours are required, of which 36 are didactic and 19.5 are clinical experiences. For additional information, see the Graduate Information section of the University Catalog.
Please note: The entire application is due January 15th. Letters of recommendation and GRE scores must be submitted by January 15th as well.
The minimum GPA requirement for admission is a 3.0. Our average admission profile for an incoming graduate student for fall 2015 was a 3.74 GPA and a GRE score of 311. These are only averages, and we admit candidates above and below these values.
Prospective graduate students must apply for admission through the University of Utah “Apply Yourself” online application system.
Application for admission includes:
- Please upload official transcripts to the online application.
- GRE scores: Send your GRE scores to the institution code 4853 for the University of Utah
- Statement of purpose cover letter (i.e., why you want to be a speech-language pathologist) (1-2 pages)
- Sample of scholarly writing (2-10 pages). (Clinical reports will not be accepted. Collaborative works are not permitted.)
- Three letters of recommendation. (Two of the letters must come from Academic Sources.)
Please see our website for more information.