Apr 26, 2018
Click HERE for Expected Learning Outcomes.
Major Requirements for University Studies
Bachelor of University Studies Program
Minimum Degree Hours: 122
Minimum Major Hours: 44
The purpose of the Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S.) degree option is to enable students, under the guidance of a faculty advisor, to design their own interdisciplinary majors by combining courses from several departments. The student/advisor team submits the proposed major to the University Studies Committee for approval.
- The major emphasis must be thematically cohesive as well as interdisciplinary. It may not resemble a combination of existing major and minor in any academic departments. Examples of major titles include Medical Illustration, Human Diversity, and Biopsychology.
- Courses may be drawn from existing University courses that fulfill Bachelors degree requirements. Some courses may require special permission to enter.
- The student’s selection of a faculty advisor is subject to committee approval. The advisor should be a tenure-track professor with academic expertise in the student’s major emphasis. The student will be coded for graduation in the academic college of this advisor, but is subject to no graduation requirements other than those of the B.U.S. Program.
- The student must commit to completing at least 40 additional semester hours at the time the proposal is submitted. The student must also have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Complete at least 122 semester units, no more than 40 from one department unless the total of graduation credits exceeds 122.
- Complete at least 56 upper-division units.
- Complete at least 44 units in the major emphasis, 16 of which are at the 4000 level or above. Credit/no-credit courses and courses with a grade of C- or below are not counted as part of major emphasis.
- Design and complete a senior project that brings together the programs disparate elements. This will be supervised and graded by the student’s faculty advisor.
- Complete the University’s undergraduate general education requirements.
- Complete University requirements for either a B.A. or B.S. degree.
- Complete an exit interview with the B.U.S. advisor.
Honors in University Studies
Students seeking an HBUS in University Studies must complete:
In order to graduate with a Bachelor of University Studies, the student must complete a senior thesis or project that will unite the separate elements of the program.
- The student will take three to five hours of independent study supervised by the faculty advisor which will allow for time to complete the thesis/project.
- The project may take whatever form the student, faculty advisor, and the B.U.S. director agree upon. It is usually presented as a thesis, but may be in the form of an oral or visual presentation, or a computer program.