College of Health
Program Office: HPER E 208
Mailing Address: 250 South 1860 East, HPER E 208, Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Program Director: Charlie Hicks-Little, Ph.D., Charlie.firstname.lastname@example.org, 801-581-4987
Program Assistance: Josh Larson
Master Degree Requirements: 32-36
The Master of Science degree program in Sports Medicine is a 2 year program designed to provide the advancement of evidence based knowledge through education, research and clinical experiences with the objective to develop well rounded professionals who can contribute to the field through the understanding of current literature, trends, equipment and practices within sports medicine and rehabilitation.
Through the program students acquire advanced didactic and practical skills, such as assessment, treatment planning, problem-solving, behavior analysis, appropriate intervention implementation, evaluation, and documentation. Additionally, students engage in clinically-based practices as a means of solidifying their didactic coursework.
Expected Prerequisite Preparation:
- Computer proficiency
- First Aid/CPR
- Eligibility for Utah State Licensure as an Athletic Trainer
Acceptance to the program is based on the following criteria:
- Applicants must have obtained a Bachelors Degree from a nationally accredited college or university and must be Certified Athletic Trainers or must have completed requirements for and be eligible to take the BOC certification exam.
- A combined Verbal and Quantitative GRE score of 300 or higher is recommended.
- Applicants are recommended to have at minimum a grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicants must submit all general University of Utah required graduate application forms, transcripts and fees to the Graduate Admissions Office.
- Applications are due December 1st annually.
Graduate Assistantship positions are available. Applications for GA positions require a separate application form and fee.