Jan 17, 2018
Click HERE for Learning Outcomes
Major Requirements for Political Science
Orson Spencer Hall 252
Minimum Degree Hours: 122
Minimum Major Hours: 48
- A minimum of 36 hours in POLS courses are required; POLS courses must be taken for a grade.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA in major.
- Required and introductory coursework: grade must be C- or better.
- Allied department courses from 1000-5999 level must be taken for a grade.
- At least 15 semester hours in POLS courses must be completed at the U of U.
- A maximum of 6 internship hours may be counted as part of the political science major.
Complete 2 of the following 3 courses.
- Complete 18 additional hours in 3000 level or higher POLS courses.
- Complete a minimum of 9 hours in 5000 level POLS courses.
Complete 12 credit hours in related departments. Allied departments include Anthropology, City and Metropolitan Planning, Communication, Economics, Ethnic Studies, Family and Consumer Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, History, Middle East Studies, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology.
Honors Required Courses
Students who complete the Honors Degree requirements AND maintain a 3.5 gpa will recieve the Honors Degree (H.B.S or H.B.A.) designation on their diploma.
See Honors College for more information.
Complete 2 courses. Only one course from 3900, 3910, or 3920 can be used towards the two required courses.
Complete 1 course
Complete 3 additional honors (HONOR or HON attribute) courses.
Complete 1 Honors Thesis course (DEPT 4999) in your major department.
Final thesis must be approved by Honors Advisor.
Honors Courses for Political Science
- Students completing the Political Science Honors degrees can substitute for from the Required Courses.
- The department offers graduate level courses (POLS 6000-6999), which fulfill elective honors electives for students in the Honors College who wish to enrich their experience within the Political Science major.
- To learn more about the honors degree in Political Science, contact Professor Matthew Burbank, at firstname.lastname@example.org.